Finding and Exploiting an Opponents Weakness

In June, I wrote about 1 hour of tennis with a Family Member (FM) in the summer of 2008; a close match that I barely won in large part due to my unique style of tennis irritation. The lesson learned from the article was to have an edge or work to achieve one when competing in tennis or sports in general. The link is below:

http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2009/06/1-hour-of-tennis-frustration-advantage.html

FM wasn't too happy about his loss in 2008 so I expected to be challenged rather quickly in 2009. As my vacation was coming to a close it seemed as though his redemption would never get the chance to manifest; something I was actually happy about. I thought FM would be tough to beat a second time since he know knew my game and had played several times since our last encounter. I had not touched a tennis racket since our match one year ago.

To my surprise, the challenge came the day before I was due to return to Stockholm. His offer caught me off-guard yet I hardly ever back down from a competition so it was "Game On". This was unfamiliar territory for me having never played a quality opponent twice that I had previously beaten. Despite my slight nervousness, I was ready. The warm-up was fifteen minutes.

FM sprinted to a powerful start winning the first game and setting a strong tone. I knew the match was going his way when I double faulted on my serve which rarely occurs. I surprisingly won the second game with a bit of luck but then lost two straight in quick fashion. FM had everything working for him and should have cruised to victory being up 3-1. I couldn't let him win that fourth game and take a commanding lead so I made a timely decision to incorporate a different style of play - attacking his forehand and rushing to the net for what I hoped would be easy points. My new style didn't work out as planned although it flustered him into numerous unforced errors and I tied the match at 3-3. I was happy to be back in the competition yet didn't find the weakness I was looking for.

FM was serving well at times yet his second serve was usually weak. In the seventh game, I returned his second serve deep in the corner to his backhand and attacked the net - time after time he had no answer for my strategy and I made him hit the ball out of bounds or directly at me for an easy point. I found the weakness and continued this style for the rest of the match. Massive exploitation of his weakness was the only thing on my mind and I was beginning to feel invincible as the games were getting easier and victory was close at hand. After being up 3-1, FM didn't win another game and I crushed him 6-3 by winning five straight games. We had to stop midway through the second set with me leading 4 -1.

It's extremely important in any competition to find and exploit an opponents weakness! Sometimes in can be difficult as I never had the chance to discover FM's weak spot last year since the match was grueling and very close. I had to use all my firepower just to claim victory. With this recent match, his weakness glared like Liberace and I punished it swiftly. FM sensed my excitement and said "You get excited when your winning". He was right, there are not many thrills like being on top and it was difficult to maintain the proper tennis composure!

In sports, always keep your eyes open and your focus on finding an opponents weakness. It may not be easy to locate but if you aren't searching, you may never find it. I will never forget when Michael Jordan (MJ) found and exploited a defensive weakness of the Portland Trailblazers in game 1 of the 1992 NBA finals - he made 6 three point shots in the first half and the Trailblazers were baffled and had no solutions for improving their hapless defense. MJ set the tone in that game and the Chicago Bulls went on to claim their second consecutive NBA championship.

http://espndb.go.com/nba/finals/profile/_/id/1992/type/year/1992-nba-finals

Awareness, Finding and Exploiting. Remember those words when competing in any sport. It may be that slight edge you need to achieve what should be the most important goal in sports............WINNING!

Happy Gswede Sunday!

The lovely view from a rest stop on the Swedish Highway!

No comments: