Embrace the Unknown

I mentioned to a friend recently that I wanted to be more proactive in "embracing the unknown". I was inspired to do so after hearing the author Deepak Chopra speak on television about how a life full of surprises or the unknown is one to be desired. Since I consistently look for ways to improve my life and respect the author, I decided to open myself up to his philosophy. I've done a good job of embracing the unknown on a macro level with my decade in NYC and my five years in Sweden although my day to day activities (micro level) have not always looked favorably upon surprises or outcomes that were not known to me. My first chance would come on a business trip.

I decided before my 4 day conference in Holland to be more open to the unknown in our meetings and training.

First, I listened intently to people's opinions even when they weren't so interesting. Listening is an invaluable skill and when we don't do it diligently, important information is often missed. I learned about different aspects of a colleague's personality as well as timely knowledge that I will utilize in my sales job - information that might have eluded me in previous meetings. My pledge to embrace listening paid off handsomely.

Second, I wholeheartedly embraced the value of role-play's in our company training. Not many people enjoy role-plays (acting a particular sales or business situation) as they open one up to insecurity and nervousness in front of peers. I have never feared role-plays although I've not engaged them fully in the past. I did this time and found myself in one of my most interesting and toughest role-plays. It was long and I had several attempts with the trainer. Since it was near the end of the day, I was exhausted yet did my best to stay in the moment. I gained some valuable knowledge about the way I impact people and how I can improve when faced with a weird or difficult buyer.

Finally, I felt refreshed and confident after the conference was over with my new attitude of embracing the unknown! I plan to carry it further into other parts of my life. Many of us like to be in control of our lives and therefore can miss out on the great mystery and beauty of turning a different corner.

For that next speech, prepare well and put your heart and soul in it. If offered to speak, always embrace the chance to teach or inspire the crowd!

Instead of dreading that overdue talk with a parent, sibling or spouse - embrace it and deal with whatever issues are on the table. Neglecting it will only add stress to your life.

For that next visit to the in-laws, embrace and look for the positives in the situation and leave the negativity at home. Most people have an interesting or good side to them. Look for it.

Go to a networking event or any event where you know few people and open up to at least one new friend.

Tell your spouse/partner how your REALLY feel about the relationship and leave no stone unturned. In the end, you will be better for it.

Try being a kid for an hour with your own children instead of the frustrated and unhappy parent. If you put yourself at their level, you may discover the pure joy and curiosity for life that kids often display. I love being around kids as it brings out the kid in me and that is a wonderful feeling.

Go on that blind date, eat dinner alone at a restaurant, try a new hobby, invite a new or old friend
for dinner, travel to a new culture, give more hugs, get in shape, etc, etc. It can be a little embrace or a big embrace. The more we open up our souls to the unknown, the richer our life experience will be.

Below are Deepak Chopra's words about this subject:

10. Embrace the unknown.

Over the years, you have formed likes and dislikes and learned to accept certain limits. None of this is the real you. You can’t force your authentic self to emerge all at once, however. Because it is painful to strip away the thick layers of illusion, you have to allow your soul to reveal itself in its own time.

Be assured that the unknown is awaiting you – an unknown that has nothing to do with the “I” you already know. The part of you that you know is the part that flickers out all too fast. When you feel a new impulse, an uplifting thought, an insight that you have never acted upon before, embrace the unknown. Cherish it as tenderly as a newborn baby. God lives in the unknown, and when you can embrace it fully, you will be free.

http://www.chopra.com/namaste/march08/deepak

Happy Gswede Sunday!

Apartments in the heart of the the city - Amsterdam, Holland

No comments: