Top 10 Reasons why a first time marathon should not be THAT difficult

I was once told that a marathon would be one of the hardest things I would ever do. I had to laugh a bit because I thought it wouldn't be extremely difficult for me.

That comment rings true for many because the lack of proper preparation makes it difficult. Most people I spoke with that have run at least one marathon admitted they didn't prepare properly.

I had a great experience running the Stockholm marathon in 2006. It wasn't easy but I have had more difficult athletic moments in my life. The toughest thing for me was being VERY TIRED in the last 1/3 of the race. It went well because I prepared thoroughly.

a) I started training 6 months before the race
b) When I was not feeling well, I did not train
c) I ran at MY pace and NOT for a great time

I was fortunate because a multiple marathoner I respect told me about
www.jeffgalloway.com. Jeff's advice, especially for first time marathoners like me was invaluable. He focuses on how NOT to get injured. In addition, he advises f
irst timers to run a full marathon in practice so they know they can do it. Also, he encourages walk breaks during the marathon.

Last year, a friend and excellent runner ran the 2007 Stockholm marathon. I warned him to take it easy especially since it was going to be very hot and he was a first timer. He didn't listen and almost quit the race. I ran the last 10k with him and made sure he finished. He ran in under 4 hours but it was very difficult. Had he just paced himself, his time would have been the same and it would have been enjoyable.

If you want to run a marathon, I encourage you to take the challenge. It is a wonderful feeling crossing that finish line.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

-----

The Top 10 Reasons why a first time marathon should not be THAT Difficult

10) Many with no sports or athletic background do it

9) Most people are relatively healthy

8) Do not train if you are injured or sick

7) Running at a good pace or your pace is crucial

6) Train properly by putting in quality running time

5) Run a full marathon before the actual race

4) Walk breaks is a must during the race

3) Start training at least 6 months in advance

2) Wear good shoes

1) Oprah Winfrey has done a marathon in 4 hours and 29 minutes!
-----

Gambia, Africa - Maybe some future marathoners in this group I photographed!

No comments: