Life as an Expat in Sweden

I was reading a British newspaper a few months back when I came across an article about an expat living in France.

He clearly enjoyed his French life but made it abundantly clear it was not an easy road.

The 3 stages of living abroad were described in this way:

1) Joyful Honeymoon

2) Inevitable Discontentment

3) Things Balancing out

As an American living abroad, I agree with his assessment but I prefer to call stage 2 disappointment instead of discontentment. After 4 years, my life has balanced out.

One has to be bold to live in a foreign country as it can be an uncomfortable or difficult road. I have friends in Sweden that probably shouldn't be here since they are not positive about the experience and constantly complain. The years just pass them by with no real focus.

The expat from France also indicated that if the flow is not similar to his 3 stages, one must think about change. Indeed. Some of those aforementioned friends should consider life outside of Sweden.

To me, it has been an fascinating and rewarding experience. Most days are very interesting.

If I have the chance to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

-----
As an ExPat, it is important to give back to the community - The 2nd year (2006) of my "American Basketball Coach in Sweden" program.

1 comment:

BARBIE DOLL ABROAD said...

I agree. People need to be more in touch with themselves and know if it is right for them or not.

As for me, I´m with you - I love it! P.S. I am coming back to Sweden in early September! Cant wait. Let me know if you come to Cannes this summer.