Will You Become a "Champion for Healthy Eating"?

My wife and I recently changed our eating habits dramatically over the last two weeks. The sugar, flour and carbohydrate intake is way down and healthier foods are way up. We always ate sensibly although the unhealthy treats sometimes got in the way.

I was so inspired after one week that I wrote an article about it. A quote and link are below:

"The benefits are that food tastes better and I don’t have any of the occasional sugar cravings I had before. Interestingly, I can feel my body system working better and that is something I’ve never experienced. Also, I increased my exercise, which only enhances this healthier way of eating."
I'm even more inspired this week and officially challenging myself to become a "Champion for Healthy Eating". With the wide spread obesity in America and increasingly in Europe and around the world, we all have to DO SOMETHING to help fight this tragic epidemic.

The passage below about America is sobering:

"In 2030, 42 percent of people are projected to be obese, and 11 percent severely obese. Obesity is a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more, which is 186 pounds for someone 5 feet, 6 inches tall. Severe obesity is a BMI of 40 or more — 248 pounds for someone that height." 
Article - Study on American Obesity 

In no way do I mean to sound preachy or convey that eating healthier is simple as I know that changing the emotional and/or addictive grip that food has on many people can be one of the most difficult challenges to overcome. I looked in the mirror and didn't like some of the bad eating habits I saw so don't be afraid to do the same.

If you would like to join me in promoting healthy eating, please consider one or all of the the following:

1) A positive attitude
2) A healthier way of eating
3) Moderate exercise on a weekly basis
4) Encouraging, Challenging and/or Inspiring people close to you to improve their eating habits

For those who may be unsure of where to begin, you can consult a nutritionist, someone you trust or the internet for helpful tips or advice on improving or changing your food habits. In addition, this article from Deepak Chopra's website can provide some insight. A quote and link are below. 

Some people are naturally sensitive to bodily sensations. When they say, “My body is telling me” or “I need to eat such-and-such,” there’s a real basis for the statement. The rest of us, the vast majority, eat out of our heads. We are susceptible to advertising, suggestive selling in restaurants (“anybody save room for our delicious chocolate cheesecake?”) diet fads, diet scares, and endless “breakthroughs” over how to lose those extra pounds. In the massive food industry, the cheapest calories for sale are processed sugar, which leads to the disturbing fact that the average American consumes 156 pounds of added sugar per year. “Added” is the word that should shock you. As people consume 31 five-pound bags of processed sugar a year, much of it in processed corn syrup and white cane sugar, even more comes to them in fruits and vegetables.
I've been inspired by some in my inner circle who have consistently demonstrated healthy eating habits over the years so I have no doubt that some of them will join me. In addition, I've encouraged those around me to think about changing in the past two weeks as they see the way I eat and are curious to know more about it.

If your eating habits are not where you want them to be and you need some inspiration, think of your children and the legacy of "unhealthy eating" and potential obesity that you are providing for them.  There is nothing quite as sad as seeing a parent poison the mind and stomach of their child with unhealthy foods.

I'm under no illusion that this will be easy although it is an important way to help our family, community and the world we live in. Do we really want the youth in America to have a LOWER life expectancy than their parents? Do we want our children to have weight, diabetes and/or serious health issues in their twenties?

I want to live a long, enjoyable and productive life as I suspect many of you do. The best way to do that is to embrace and live a healthy lifestyle.

Will you join me? Will you become a "Champion for Healthy Eating"?

I'll leave you with a wonderful quote from Henry the Great:

“Great eaters and great sleepers are incapable of anything else that is great.”
(Henry IV of France)

Happy Gswede Sunday!

Provence, France - Not the healthiest eating in the world although the beauty is magnificent!
(photo by Hanna)

No comments: