Take your Life Up (or down) a Notch in 2011!

My first article for this blog in 2008 was called, “Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago”. 4 years is a good time to reflect and look back to see if your life has improved, is simmering in mediocrity or has gone down hill. Here’s the link:

http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2008/03/are-you-better-off-now-than-you-were-4.html

My kick-off article in 2009 dealt with the benefits of life and how we need to focus on them. The link is below:

http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2009/01/life-is-and-should-be-all-about.html

My first article in 2010 was titled, “A Voice of Reason”. The main theme centered on the need for having one or more voices in order to help us live the life we desire. The link:

http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2010/01/voice-of-reason.html

Since I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions (most don’t stick to them), I embrace the beginning of each year with the intention of finding ways in which I can improve the benefits in my life.

“Taking it UP (or down) a Notch” is my focus in 2011.

Everyone has parts of their life that they adore or enjoy whether it be hobbies, family, work, playing with your kids, sports, “Me Time”, cooking, getting a massage, networking or simply relaxing. Whatever your particular passion may be, I encourage you to embrace it even more in 2011. Or if you have not started that book you want to write or begun the exercise you desire, there is no time like the present to move forward! Take it up a notch.

Life should be about getting as much FUN out of it as you can so why not increase the level of pleasure with those things you most enjoy. I enjoy running and have made it a priority to improve my jogging consistency in 2011. In addition, I want to take my “helping of others” to a new level.

This year, I’ve added a new twist to my goals - including lessening or getting rid of elements that don’t add value to my life or I don’t enjoy. Thankfully, there aren’t many although there are a few that will be firmly decreased as they are counter-productive and often waste my time.

I understand that certain elements of our life must be dealt with whether we enjoy them or not. In my opinion, most things we don’t like or are not pleasant for us are BY CHOICE. Can you or people you know relate to any of these?

 In a relationship or marriage that should have ended years ago

 Keeping a friend in your life who is negative or doesn’t add value

 Family members who don’t have your best interests in mind

 Drama at work because you don’t enjoy it or are only in it for the money

 Keeping people in your life because you have known them a long time and not because you enjoy them

 Being irresponsible with your choices by throwing caution to the wind

 Needlessly wasting money on things you don’t need

 Eating in abundance or being addicted to a certain type of food

 “Making money” being one’s sole focus

 Having quality mentors yet not listening to their advice

If you can relate to any of the aforementioned, I implore you to do something about it while you still have the chance. Don’t be afraid to tackle the problem head on because if you have a person, action or job that is bringing you down or adding negativity to your life, where is the benefit for you? Take it down a notch!

This paragraph from my benefits article in 2009 sums up my philosophy on taking care of YOU first in order to be at full strength for maximizing the enjoyment of life:

M) You are # 1 – If you are not, how can you live a good life or benefit others? People tend to forget that taking care of YOU FIRST is the most important thing in life. Living life for others or through others is a sure way to experience a HO HUM existence. There are many ways to achieve this no matter how busy you are in life. One is to act on a passion you have and make sure to do it every week if only for an hour. Surely you can spare an hour? You will be surprised how that one hour enhances your life. I have been thinking about starting a blog for years but never acted on it. I finally began it last year during one of the busiest times in my life and the benefits have been amazing!

Things that don’t add joy and/or value to your life are “time wasters” and I don’t think anyone reading this wants to waste the precious and often short time we have.

Take Your Life up (or down) a Notch, depending on where your life is right now.

The best thing is to always be searching for ways to do this whether it is January, June or November. Positive change is never easy although those bold enough to do it often experience joy and/or peace of mind that they never thought possible.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

Gswede looks forward to every year including 2011!

1 comment:

Sara Alden said...

So true, so healthy and enriching to hear again and again. Still trying to move in that direction. Thanks George!