Networking Effectively


An invaluable skill to practice often and become proficient in is the ability to Network Effectively.

Networking: (dictionary.com)
A supportive system of sharing information and services among individuals and groups having a common interest.


I would add to the definition above that all parties should BENEFIT in any networking relationship. To be effective, one should consistently strive to add new people, associations, clubs, groups or cultures to a network.

Networking is not easy to do. It can be difficult because of the discipline and patience it takes to excel. It’s important to have an open mind, be willing to engage, embrace the occasional discomfort, be positive, likable and follow up.

The fruits that come from skillful networking can be abundant including a potential “lightening bolt boost” to your passions, desires, family, giving or career. Networking has been wonderful for me!

A critical New York City (NYC) networking moment came in 1996 while I was working at Madison Square Garden. I was entertaining 25 clients and their guests at a professional hockey game. Although I couldn’t talk to everyone, I did shake all hands and made sure to engage the most interesting people.

One guest was particularly captivating and we hit it off instantly. He was the General Manager of a prominent NYC health club. At the end of our conversation, he invited me to his club for a free workout and I went a few months later. It was the most luxurious health club I had ever seen! It had 6 floors, a pool, a running track attached to the building, first rate restaurant, snack bars, and a basketball court along with the typical workout machines. In addition, it was constructed beautifully with marble and fine materials so it had the look of a 5 star hotel.

The clientele of the club was high level in terms of income although most of the people I met were very cordial. It also had its share of celebrities as they could train comfortably and not be bothered. I enjoyed my first workout and could instantly see the plentiful opportunities to meet new people.

The manager and I became good friends and networked extensively together. Not only was I a member of the club for 8 years (membership costs ranged from $2,000-5000), I also provided him with access to numerous events at Madison Square Garden, including NY Knicks professional basketball, concerts and championship boxing.

The club was very social and I met several of my close friends there. I could also take clients as I had free access to bring a guest for a one-time visit. Without the manager’s friendship and network, my NYC experience wouldn’t have been nearly as prosperous or exciting. Good networking goes a long way!

If you want to network effectively, the areas below can help you become successful.

A) Being interested in People – I enjoy meeting new people and getting to know those in my circle in a more meaningful way. If you want to be a good networker, enjoying the excitement and stimulation of others helps immensely.

B) Engage with Others – Be spirited with new people you meet along with your existing network of friends or business associates. Don’t be afraid to ask them for help or provide assistance for them when needed. In addition, introducing people in your network who share common interests is typically a wise move. If they hit it off, you should benefit down the road.

C) Being Open-minded – Occasionally, in social or business situations, one must share the company of those you don’t like or are not interesting. When this happens, just “grin and bear it” and try to enjoy it as best as you can. In addition, make every attempt to remove yourself from the situation when the timing is right. One shouldn't be rude but don’t hang around longer than you have to.

Being open-minded also means that you are willing to meet a new friend in the least likely situation. In Stockholm, people usually don’t talk to strangers as easily as in the USA. I never let that stop me from engaging potential new contacts. I met one of my best Swedish friends as we were running side by side on a treadmill. He wasn’t a typical Swede and we engaged each other simultaneously. We have opened up our networks to our mutual benefit.

D) Being Positive and Likable - Positivity despite the ups or downs in life is usually beneficial to you and those around you. When stress knocks you down, always try to get back up by being positive. It's no coincidence that my closest friends are more positive than most. Being likable can sometimes be out of one’s control as some are more likable than others. If you have interesting life experiences combined with showing interest in others, people will be attracted to that. -

E) Discipline – This element is extremely important in networking. To network properly, one should be in the “mix of life”. What that means is that you should be consistent in going out, accepting invitations to events/dinners/parties or being around new people to meet. In addition, don’t forget to network with your existing friends! Discipline is also crucial to practice when you are in a situation where you are not having fun or are not interested in a person or group of people. In that case, don’t linger too long; move on to the next group.

F) Help others Rise – I have and always will help (in any way I can) those I like; whether it be a friend, colleague or acquaintance. We must stop the petty jealousy or laziness shown when we don’t help people we care about. In my opinion, helping others is invaluable as I have seen an abundance of benefits come back to me from those I have assisted. Even if that is not the case, giving or helping someone is a good thing to do.


Belgrade, Serbia - Gswede's private party for over 100 guests

G) Giving or Volunteering – As I wrote about in a recent article (link is below), giving is of the utmost importance. I don’t consider any life well-rounded or successful unless there is an element of quality giving to others. I have found it quite easy to network in the “crowd that cares” as most have been very willing to teach me new things or connect me with people in my areas of interest. A good place to start is http://www.charities.org/ if you want to find out how to get involved.
http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2008/12/yes.html

H) Fundraising – A good portion of people will be involved in some form of fundraising during their lifetime. It’s a crucial skill to have as it will prove invaluable in a variety of business and personal situations. You can find my article “Fundraising - A 7 step approach" on the link below:

http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2008/10/october-is-breast-cancer-awareness.html

I have seen those who network well in their job atmosphere yet are less productive outside of business. The key is to do it well in both areas! Networking (i.e. special events or private party) outside of regular business hours can often bring good connections for fundraising. Following up with new people met and keeping in touch with known contacts is critical to raising money effectively.

I) Learn from “Master” Networkers – There are gifted individuals who make networking look easy and others who have become extremely efficient by improving over time. If you know someone like this, learn from them by arranging a meeting and absorbing as much as you can. Often the best way to learn is to attend an event with that person in order to witness how they are successful.

J) Create your own Networking Event - Since the early 1990’s, I have been involved in several networking events in NYC, Belgrade (Serbia) and Stockholm (Sweden). They have ranged from 20 to over 500 people. The element they all had in common was fun, interesting people and diversity. No matter how small or big, take the time to plan your own event. Keep in mind that arranging events is not easy and does take time although I have found the benefits after to be extremely valuable.

K) FOLLOW UP - One of the key elements in networking is the essential “Follow-Up” phase. The aforementioned criteria could be wasted with lazy, inappropriate or “NO” follow-up. An effective networker follows up with all of their quality contacts on a consistent basis. If there is a request from a contact or a need you have to be fulfilled, following up in a timely manner is a must. At the very least, one should send a holiday card (with a hand written note) to everyone in your network especially those you have not seen or contacted in the past year. You will be surprised at the power of only 1 note per year.

If you improve or master the skills necessary for effective networking, I can almost guarantee that you will experience a significant enhancement in attractive, worthwhile or profitable opportunities.

Living life to the fullest usually requires a high level of networking. Begin now if you have never networked, improve the skills you may already posses or MASTER the art of networking. Either way, opportunity will come knocking.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

Stockholm - Gswede and friend Roland's networking party in 2006

No comments: