A Poem for a Girlfriend

I can't remember the exact year I started to dabble in poetry although I do recall what a chore it was to actually complete that first poem. I must have done 20 drafts before I was satisfied!

When I write a poem, I think of my experiences, poets I admire and inspiration of all kinds. What makes it challenging for me is combining all those elements along with the creative process to form a cohesive poem. I have labored tremendously at times yet always battle through the obstacles as best as I can. I have not written many poems (less than 10) but I am determined to do more in the future. The feeling after completing one is completely soothing.

I shared a personal favorite in 2008 called "Don't Fall for the Flesh". It was inspired by a close friend whose actions almost cost him the cool and interesting woman he is now married to. You can find the article and poem on the following link.

http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2008/04/temptation-dont-fall-for-it.html

The poem below was written for a girlfriend in 2001 who inspired me from the moment we met. My words came to me less than a year after our first encounter. I was a bit nervous reading it to her as I had never been so bold with the written word for any previous girlfriend. I could sense the sweetness, love and integrity inside her soul almost from the beginning of our relationship. It didn't take long for my feelings to be confirmed and I knew this was someone I could share my life with. Fortunately, she is now my wife and we have been married almost 6 years. She is an exceptional woman.

If you've never written a poem, I encourage you to make an attempt as you may have a John Keats (His "A Thing of Beauty" is my favorite) or Langston Hughes (read "Dinner Guest: Me") lingering inside you. If nothing else, your mind will be challenged and your creativity will be forced to rise up and that is usually a positive thing.

Happy Gswede Sunday!
-----

"A Thrill"

Paths Intertwined
On that lovely June night
Little did I know
That a thrill was in sight.

Flustered by an unknown force,
Dropping things unusually
Something in the air
A thrill,
Not plain to see.

Weekends on the road
Full of good friends and fun
Caressing each others spirit
Like the warmth of New Hampshire sun.

Fabulous times in city
Sometimes walking endlessly...
Breakfast on 25th
Soothing as a summer breeze.

Your soul, Your sweetness
Eloquently touching my heart
Your passion for music
Inspiring thrills from the start.

The Thrill is Gone
Baker's chilling song to some,
My soul sings a different tune
Joyfully,
Full of thrills yet to come.

What lies ahead
Will unravel in due time
Since late August
Has been one hell of a ride.

Stay just as you are
You have so much to give
The thrill inside you
Is the spirit you live.

Paris, France - The moment after Gswede proposed to his then girlfriend (now wife)

No comments: