An Act of Generosity.....Almost Denied

There have been random acts of kindness in my life although one shines brighter than most in that it was so unexpected and enjoyable. An act of generosity with good intentions would usually be welcomed yet this one was almost denied.

It occurred in the mid 1980's after another disappointing, non-conference college basketball loss to an Ivy League team. After the game, one of the parents of the opposing team asked our coach if he could take a few of us out for dinner. You would think such a warm gesture would be easily accepted but our coach firmly resisted. Nobody was surprised as our leader was not a good coach or well liked.

Most in the arena that night knew this parent as he was and still is one of the most successful and admired African-American businessmen. Being so accomplished, I'm sure he was not used to NOT getting his way and when our coach rejected his proposal, he was perplexed. A moment I will never forget is when he asked (after being rejected) to talk to our coach in private with a stern look on his face.

I don't know what this prominent individual said but it was clear that he instantly changed the demeanor and prior stance of our coach and we were soon on our way out the door! Over the years, I have known a few people who have worked with this businessman and one clearly was impressed by his negotiating skills and relentless ambition of closing a sale. Whatever he said to our coach was quick, to the point and strong as he would have NEVER allowed us to go out under normal circumstances unless it was with our own parents.

The night began with a bang as four of us got into this man's beautiful Rolls Royce for a short drive to his friends house. When we arrived, there was a nice spread of fantastic food and his son (the star player) along with other friends were there to greet us. We had a wonderful time getting to know them and relaxing! The memory of the loss earlier that evening was far in the back of our minds.

It is not often when an unexpected evening filled with laughter, new friends and quality conversation happens. I never forgot that moment over 20 years ago and have been inspired by it! Last November, I surprised 6 youth in Stockholm with a free dinner at a local sports restaurant. I brought 3 of my business partners and we had a great evening hearing about their dreams and talking about our lives.

While working at Madison Square Garden in the mid 90's, I ran into the aforementioned businessman at a high school basketball game. He didn't remember me but I excitingly told him about the evening 10 years earlier, thinking he might recall some of the details. He said, "George, I can't even remember what I did yesterday", and we both laughed. Being such a busy man, he has probably forgotten more memorable days than most have ever experienced! I thanked him once again for the evening and told him how special his generosity was and how much I appreciated it. We had a warm conversation.

With extremely successful individuals, one doesn't always hear about or experience their generosity or the way in which they positively impact others. That dinner for us may have a been a "little thing" in his life but it was a BIG THING in my eyes and a cherished memory.

My hope is that those in his fortunate position take the time to give in much the same way he touched our lives.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

The courtyard view of an English School - Stockholm, Sweden

No comments: