7 Favorite Quotes

Below are 7 of my favorite quotes.

I think about or refer to them consistently which helps to give my day a jolt of inspiration.

If one follows the wisdom of the 7 combined, it is easy to visualize an invigorating, well-rounded and interesting life.

Number 4 is my favorite. It has been that way since my collegiate days (English major) where I first caught the bug for pen and pad.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

1)

When the minds eye rests on objects illuminated by truth and reality, it understands and comprehends them, and functions intelligently.

--PLATO

I have always tried to keep my world based in Truth and Reality and have encouraged others to do so. Sometimes it can be a struggle but time and time again, those two words have kept me grounded, acting intelligently and functioning cohesively.

2)

Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

--Martin Luther King

I am moved every time I think about or hear Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. These words are not from that speech but resonate with me just as profoundly as people who serve, help others and give of themselves are the true hero's in our world.

3)

A thought which does not result in an action is nothing much, and an action which does not proceed from a thought is nothing at all.

-- Georges Bernanos

A wonderful quote to review if only to spark an action. Many are guilty of worthwhile thoughts that bear no fruit because of inaction thus lost opportunities. Actions made that have no thought beforehand are irresponsible.

4)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; but still will keep a bower quiet for us, and a sleep full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.

-- John Keats ( from "A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever" in Book 1 of Endymion)

If you don't read poetry, John Keats is a fine place to start. I love this passage! If you have a "Thing of Beauty" in your life, this quote should sooth your soul. My wife is "A Thing of Beauty".

5)

Run from anything that gives you evil thoughts.....but stay close to anything that makes you want to do right.

-- 2 Timothy 2:22 (Living Bible)

A straight forward and pure quote. We all face temptation (see April Article on the subject) throughout our lives and it is crucial to THINK first before making irresponsible mistakes that could hurt, disgrace or ruin your life. Thinking of your family before you act on temptation might help.

6)

Wherever you are it is your friends who make your world.

-- William James

My friends have made my life interesting, fun, challenging and hopeful. Any success I have enjoyed would be lessened without my invaluable friendships.

7)

The antidote to envy is one's own work. Always one's own work. Not the thinking about it. Not the assessing of it. But the doing of it.

--Bonita Friedman

Envy can prevent people from making the impact they desire in life. Remember, any person you envy usually has DONE the hard work necessary to be successful.



Fresh snow is a "Thing of Beauty". Winter of 2006 in Stockholm, Sweden (above and below)


No comments: