Leave the country. That’s what I tell everybody — just go.

The title of this article comes from an interview I read on an online website. It captured my attention because of its frank and bold nature and the fact that I live outside of the USA.

A portion of the interview with Quintin E. Primo III, co-founder and chief executive of Capri Capital Partners is below:

Q. What’s your best career advice to young graduates?

A. Three words: leave the country. Get out of here. That’s what I tell everybody — just go. I don’t care where you go, just go.
(http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/business/01corner.html?emc=eta1)

In addition, I have been thinking for a long time about how to succinctly address our youth in terms of exploring and learning about our world. This advice couldn't be better.

The three points below (from the same interview) on "learning about Islam", "speaking another language" and "getting a broad understanding the world's cultures" are essential for youth in the USA to know:

Q. Because?

A. Because the world is changing. It is no longer acceptable to speak only English if you are 25 and younger. It’s unacceptable. You have little chance of being successful if you speak only one language.

If you don’t understand Islam, you’re in trouble because Islam comprises somewhere between 1.6 billion and 1.8 billion people, and there are markets that are untapped that need to be tapped.

So you’ve got to get out of your front door, get out of the comfort and quiet of your home, and your safety zone, and step into a pool of risk where you have no idea what the outcome is going to be. Out of it all, you will have a much broader understanding of the world’s cultures, and you will have a much clearer idea of how the world perceives our culture, and all the value, and the benefits, and the beauty of our culture.

There is nothing more important. I don’t care where you went to business school. I don’t care whether your grades were good or bad. You have to leave the country.
(http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/business/01corner.html?emc=eta1)

Parents, encourage your children to explore the world even though you may want them to stay in the USA. Chances are that if you give them the wings to fly and live abroad, they will come back to our great country better prepared to tackle our immense challenges - with a kinder and more well-rounded knowledge of our brothers and sisters around the globe.

There aren't many better gifts to give your child than the enthusiastic encouragement to see the world beyond the occasional vacation.

Youth, Just go.

Happy Gswede Sunday!


There are a vast amount of places to explore in our world including the beauty of Sweden in the winter. (Picture by Fredrik)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi George,
I couldn't agree more. Studying abroad for a year was the best thing I ever did. Not only did I meet my wonderful husband, but more importantly I experienced life in a new language, developed a broader world mindset and had the humbling experience of meeting a wide variety of people who loved or hated the US for historical and cultural reasons I was just beginning to understand. Living abroad and returning home again has also forced me to ask hard questions about who I am and what I can offer in professional, social and family settings. I think the answers to those questions would have been much more one-dimensional had I stayed in the Midwest all these years.

Thanks for the posting - have a great Sunday!

Sara A. (New York transplant)