"No Phone Zone" while Driving. Will You take the Pledge?

As I was eating lunch one day at home, I caught ten minutes of the Oprah Winfrey Show - a show originally shown this past spring. It couldn't have been a more timely or important portion of the show.

Jerry Seinfeld told the audience that he lost a good friend who was using his phone while driving. That really hit me in the gut as I (and many of you I suspect) am guilty of sending sms's/texts or talking on the phone ín my car. I don't do it when my children are in my vehicle although I do make infrequent use of technology when I am alone.

After Jerry's friend died, he immediately stopped using the phone in the car.

As I have mentioned in previous articles, inspiration comes in many forms and this moment inspired me. I pledge to NOT use any handheld phone while driving (NO text /sms or talking) unless it is a blue tooth device where my hands are free.

Frankly, I feel a bit foolish for doing it in the past as my wife always warned me of the dangers. This was my wake-up call.

Will you join me? I implore you to give it a try or pledge with me OR the next time you get in the car could be your last time.

Below is Oprah's "No Phone Zone Day" mission (link is below).

Happy Gswede Sunday!
-----
CHICAGO, IL— In a major new push to slow the growing epidemic of distracted driving, Oprah Winfrey and a national and grassroots coalition including traffic safety organizations, law enforcement agencies, federal and state transportation and highway safety offices, advocacy groups and concerned citizens will join forces Friday, April 30, to mark the first ever National No Phone Zone Day and drive home a simple message: Put down the phone when you're behind the wheel.

No Phone Zone Day will be marked with a special live episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, viewing rallies in five major cities, a sponsored public service announcement campaign to run on television, in print and online, messages on outdoor billboards in markets across the country, social media activity and more calling on drivers to make their cars No Phone Zones.
-----
Putting an end to distracted driving will make America's roads safer for everyone," said U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood. "That's why I want drivers across the country to pledge that their vehicle will be a No Phone Zone. Each day we honor that pledge is a safer day on our roadways. Everyone needs play their part to end this deadly epidemic."
----
(http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/The-Oprah-Show-Announces-Events-for-No-Phone-Zone-Day-on-April-30)

A precious friend moment on the beach in Sweden. (picture by Mia)

No comments: