Lena - A Loving Soul


The Lennér Family in Skåne, 2006 (southern Sweden). We had magnificent weather and it was Lena's last summer.

-----

My mother-in-law was a loving soul and we appreciate the support of many friends during and after her battle with cancer. That support helped to keep us strong as my wife was pregnant with our first child during her illness.

Lena Lennér (64) passed away peacefully on April 18, 2007. She was a gentle, sweet and caring woman that exemplified everything good and decent about human beings. Her strength and poise as she battled cancer was remarkable and inspirational to those who knew her and even to some that only heard about her.

My father-in-law, Hans Christian (HC) cared for Lena for almost a year after her diagnosis. His endurance and love made it possible to battle for so long and helped her reach the goal of meeting her newborn grandson. The outpouring of love for Lena was incredible. (See below with the flowers).

2007 was a particularly tough year for our family as my high school basketball coach, Paul Lavelle, also died of cancer at age 54. Like Lena, he was very kind and decent. I owe much of my success to Paul's teaching and support. My youth basketball program (http://www.gswede.blogspot.com/) is dedicated to both Lena and Paul.

Recently, we were blessed with the birth of a healthy baby girl. We had hoped to receive a little sister for our son and I believe that our wishes came true so that we would always have a piece of Lena shining through our lovely daughter.

Life is precious and can be over in a split second or within a year like my mother-in-law. I was reminded of that last week when a good friend lost his 38 year old sister; she died in her sleep.

You don't know when your number will be called so do your best to live as good as you can. Our journey in this world is too short to endure needless DRAMA, negativity or petty BS; time wasters that prevent many from embracing and fulfilling their desires or dreams. It is imperative to appreciate waking up in the morning, enjoying the little things in life and loving with passion!
-
I wish you well.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

My wife and her mother in the summer of 2006

Lena (second from right) enjoying New Year's Eve 2006 with her close friends

The outpouring of love for Lena after her funeral

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a lovely post George. It really touched me and made me think. Thanks for sharing this. Sarah Foxen

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post George. I loved the photos as well. Lots of love to all of you xoxo Missy