Exercise Consistency Now (Not Always the Case)

In early September, 2013, my goal was to make my exercise very consistent.

Outside of training for several half marathons and the Stockholm, Sweden marathon in 2005, my workouts have been inconsistent in the last decade.

I haven’t been a bad exerciser, only that it was not uncommon for me take 2-4 weeks off from moving the body. That inconsistency bugged me and I missed the great feeling of regular exercise.

Yes, I did play basketball (from 2-4 hours) nearly everyday of my life from ages 9 – 22 (including 4 years in college) but that is the past. What that early exercise should have done is given me the desire for consistency in my older years. 

This has been my average level of exercise for the last 6 months:

  • 3 times a week I run 5k (3.1 miles) outdoors on soft ground 80% of the time. I use a gym occasionally when the weather is not ideal.
  • Since December 2013, I’ve played 1-2 hours of weekly tennis.
  • Stretching between 10 - 20 minutes everyday.
  • Use of light home weights for toning of upper body

I’m very happy that I’ve kept up the consistency. It’s not been easy as I’ve had to run several times at night or when I had limited time or when I was tired, just to keep up with my goal. I was determined to let nothing get in my way and my body and mind have felt the benefits.

Not only am I stronger but my entire body feels good on a daily basis. Even when my sleep is less than ideal, because of the exercise, I’m more alert and productive. In addition, I know it has helped to make me a better father, husband, employee and friend.

The aforementioned September beginning was random in my mind although it did coincide with the visit of one of my best American friends in Sweden. He is a man and mentor I’ve admired for his healthy ways of eating and exercising. In addition, my wife has been an inspiration throughout our almost 14 years together as she has always embraced and displayed consistent exercise. 

Finally, I’ll never forget what a good friend told his wife, when she was complaining about her body, being tired and not having the time to work out. He said:

“It’s all about your priorities”.

He’s right. If is important to you, you won’t have to find the time, you will make the time.

Consistent Exercise is now my long term priority. As good as I feel these days, I can’t imagine going back to the inconsistent George.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

Watching friend Teddy in NYC Marathon Over a Decade Ago

No comments: