An Injury didn’t Deter my Basketball Success

From the time I was 10 years old, I was usually the best basketball player on the court. The sport came easy to me and I was fortunate to have a) supportive parents and b) a man with a great basketball mind as my first coach.

Entering high school (10th grade), I was the lone sophomore on the starting five of our basketball team along with 4 talented seniors. Before I burst onto the scene, it was a certainty that the starting team would be five seniors so many of those senior players weren’t too happy with my prime position. They made it very physical and tough on me in practice which didn’t faze me as I knew my talent was at a minimum, equal to theirs. Also, one of the popular teammates (a senior) had to take a backup role due to my presence.

The often harsh treatment inspired me to deliver deft offensive moves every practice and display an astute knowledge of the game, quickly earning their respect. It was an exciting time as I knew the year would be fun and my skills would be tested at the highest level!

During an early season game, my perfect world of basketball bliss came to a screeching halt. As I was running down the court, I accidently ran into an opposing player rather forcefully. At first, I thought nothing of it although soon thereafter, my shoulder was throbbing. I had a broken collarbone.

By the time my injury healed, the season was nearly over and I never had the chance to find my rhythm. The team had smashing success without me which I was happy about, finishing with a record of 28-4. Being the best outside shooter on the team, I can only imagine what we could have achieved with me in the starting rotation.

This injury was probably the best thing to happen to me. It made me workout harder, improve my discipline and obtain a stronger focus. I made these changes in order to limit injuries along with giving me the best opportunity for a productive and stellar final two years - time that would be crucial for impressing college basketball coaches.

Fortunately, I averaged 23 points per game my junior and senior years and was injury free. In addition, I was twice named to the team of the best 15 players in my region – called “The Big 15”.

Would I have been a better player if I didn’t get injured? Who knows? What I do know is that I wasn’t going to let anything or anyone deter me from achieving the goal I had since I was young – receiving a basketball scholarship. I had worked extremely hard perfecting my skills before the injury so I considered it nothing more than a small obstacle or in car terms, a bump in the road.

I played 4 years of Division 1 College Basketball at the University of Vermont. That basketball scholarship allowed me the privilege of a free education and a wonderful university experience.

In sports or life, sometimes a curveball is thrown our way in the form of an injury or unfortunate incident yet one can’t allow these short term distractions to deter a goal or dream.

Basketball has taken me a long way in life and provided opportunities I may otherwise not have had. I’m thankful for that as well as achieving my goal despite an untimely injury.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

The University of Vermont provided great opportunties for Gswede
(Picture by Tony Friede)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite UVM player (and best looking). :)

Anonymous said...

Nice Piece GP. I definitely can appreciate it. Straight life skills all that you mentioned. To some it is just a game but to those that have had the opportunity to play through high school, college and beyond knows that it is much more. Your injury may have been a pain in the neck but it made you better in more ways than one.

Kho Health said...

Great read

Shin Splints From Basketball