George & Richard - "Running to Remember" September 11, 2001


This past Saturday, my colleague Richard Puttock and I ran the "Stockholm Half Marathon" in memory of those who lost their lives on 9/11, 2001.

It was a gorgeous day (exactly 9 years after 9/11) with intermittent sun and clouds. I didn't train in my typical fashion and had an August injury although I was determined to run the race. Richard trained well and was raring to go!

Our beginning was strong and we maintained a 2 hour pace for 60 minutes yet quickly decreased after the first hour (10K), due solely to my limited training. Richard was strong throughout and I encouraged him to go ahead of me several times as he could have done 1:45-2:00 hours. Being a good friend, he ran at my pace for the entire race. We finished at 2:22 and it was my most enjoyable half marathon experience.

During those tired moments, I thought of the 9/11 victims I knew:

-- Two gentlemen I played basketball with on a weekly basis. They were at the top of one of the towers.

-- A client who was the Head of HR for a financial company. Most of her employees and guests were ushered to safety due to her fast thinking and guidance. Unfortunately, the second plane hit before she was able to get out.

September 11 was a day I will never forget and I was grateful to play a part in helping people. The following link details my day:

(http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2008/09/sept-11-2001-my-view-from-brooklyn-not.html)


Another goal for the race was to raise money for a charity who helps in the effort, aftermath or deterrent of tragedies like 9/11. The charity I chose is "The Children's Health Fund". In addition to focusing on children, I like that they respond in times of a national crisis.

Their website is http://www.childrenshealthfund.org/.  My youth basketball program (http://www.Gswede.blogspot.com) will donate $100.00 to the fund.

Here's a taste of what they do and have done:

The Children’s Health Fund (CHF) is committed to providing health care to America’s most medically underserved children and their families through the development and support of innovative primary care medical programs, response to public health crises, and the promotion of guaranteed access to appropriate health care for all children. Founded by singer/songwriter Paul Simon and pediatrician/child advocate Irwin Redlener, MD, in 1987, CHF launched its first program, the New York Children’s Health Project (NYCHP), with one “big blue van,” a state-of-the-art mobile medical clinic that brought medical care directly to children with the greatest need and least access to care

The Fund also responds in times of national crisis to ensure the well-being of children, whose families would otherwise not be able to access primary and mental health care services. In the aftermath of 911 and Hurricanes Katrina and Andrew, CHF was among the earliest responders. During Hurricanes Ike and Gustav, CHF mobile clinics mobilized to respond to the hurricane evacuees’ health care needs. CHF has designed and designated mobile medical clinics that are prepared to respond to disasters or public health crises around the country.

If you would like to contribute to this charity, please go to the following link where you can donate in a variety of ways:

https://secure2.convio.net/chf/site/Donation2?df_id=1480&1480.donation=form1

For my collegues who may want to give, you can visit the CHF company matching link below as our organization participates in matching our donations for this or any qualified charity:

https://secure2.convio.net/chf/site/Donation2?idb=2058169387&df_id=1440&1440.donation=form1

Giving comes in many shapes and sizes but the main thing is to be consitent with your giving. I wrote a 2008 article on the topic called, "Giving is More Important than Ever" (http://gswede-sunday.blogspot.com/2008/12/yes.html).

Pass it along to someone you know who many need a little push to open up thier heart and begin the giving process.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

"Running to Remember" 9/11 - The joy of finishing a half marathon

No comments: