Avoid Injuries Due to YOUR Own Actions

When I was a child, I would hear on more than one occasion about a woman burning herself with hot water in the kitchen. One time is understandable although after several times I was baffled.

That incident stayed in my mind and I've always made a conscience effort NOT to injure myself due to my own actions. And I am not talking about competing in sports or physical activity or embracing life to the fullest as one sometimes cannot control the injury factor – I am referring to injuries that occur as one journeys in daily life situations such as cooking in the kitchen, walking on ice, lifting boxes, carrying a child, driving or using tools.

I was inspired to write this article after two people in my circle injured themselves. The first occurred in the kitchen which resulted in a severe cut and the second happened from slipping on ice. Both injuries were very serious and may have long term effects. In addition, one could have been avoided.

I am hopeful that my readers will be motivated to be more careful so as to avoid something similar happening. Throughout my life, I have found that carelessness, rushing, impatience or being oblivious to one’s surroundings to be a major reason for senseless injuries that didn’t have to occur.

Numerous people I know have also injured their backs due to lifting heavy boxes/objects. Heavy items should be left to professionals and I preached that to a friend who asked me to help him move his gigantic TV (years before plasma) – a task for at least 3 people. Against my better judgement, I agreed yet told him if the TV became too heavy, I was dropping it. He understood and as we were lifting, that point came and I dropped it on a nearby table. The table was damaged although more importantly, my back was not. The TV was fine. If you find yourself in a similar situation, remember, no object is worth a lifetime of back pain.

Can the “perfect storm” of an accident occur due to one’s actions? Of course. The aforementioned friend who suffered the kitchen cut probably falls into that category although most injuries I have heard of or seen could have been avoided if “Carefulness” was taken more seriously.

Ice is a particularly tricky area and many (i.e. older people) fall victim to its dangers. When you are walking on or around ice, there are four things to be concerned about – being careful, walking slowly, having proper shoes and being prepared for a potential fall. If you are in a hurry or not paying attention, a severe injury can occur. I often hold my hands straight out when walking on ice in order to balance myself. In addition, I am always prepared to fall on ice – preparation that helped me to avoid a serious injury in college when I took a bad spill but was spared because I was ready for the fall.

Remember the following story the next time you find yourself near ice:

In 2003, Dr. Atkins was enjoying the moment particularly because his controversial weight loss philosophy was finally getting the respect he thought it deserved. He was in his early 70's and life was good.

As he was walking down a New York City street, he slipped and fell on ice. He suffered a severe head injury and never recovered. He died just as the glory was shining upon him. What a shame.

The message is simple today – LIVE LIFE BUT BE CAREFUL IN YOUR DAILY ROUTINES.

Happy Gswede Sunday!

My friend Fredrik took this lovely picture on the beach in Skåne (southern Sweden)

No comments: