Starbucks is coming to Sweden (Finally)

Most prominent European countries have a Starbucks. For whatever reason, there is not a single location in Sweden. That is about to change in 2010 as Starbucks is finally coming although only at one location - Stockholm's major airport, Arlanda.

I was surprised that Sweden didn't have a Starbucks when I moved here in 2004. Being one of the top coffee consuming countries (per capita), it made no sense to me with Starbucks doing so well in Europe. Even Austria (another top coffee country) has produced good Starbucks results.

There has been plenty of written reaction (positive and negative) to this famous American brand's entrance into Sweden. Below are three comments from The Local, (Sweden's News in English). The link to the fully story is also below.

Has the typical Swedish prejudgement of all American coffee rubbed off on many of you? I come from a family of coffee lovers, and can say that the best coffee to be had is in USA. You can get it how you want it at a number of nice shops. Starbucks may not be the greatest of all places, but it is definitely MUCH BETTER than Swedish coffee. Swedish coffee done at home is good, however, every time Ive been to Coffeehouse by George, Wayne's Coffee, etc. I am left disappointed with mediocre coffee and a BORING Panini (same everywhere). Hopefully the American chain can bring in some "change."

Moreover, the best coffee to be had is at Espresso House. None of the other chains measure up. Go to you local (small) coffee shop too. There are many throughout Stockholm and Göteborg which are brilliant!
--Amerikansk_Mike
-----
As my username so eloquently explains, I am English., and as an Englishman I feel horrified that Sweden shall be submitted to yet another attempt by an American globalising brand trying to destroy the local culture, such has happened to the country I formely lived in.The negative effects of multinational chains outweigh the benefits of a supposedly faster, more efficient service a thousand fold. Local difference and diverisity of life is one of the more engaging aspects of humanity and something Sweden excels in.It is not simply a matter of taste that needs to be debated here, it is the homogenising of our planet into a single American accented organism that buys coffee at Starbucks, eats in McDonalds and shops at Walmart.A feat that has already , I am ashamed to say, been accomplished in the UK.I hope the population here contniue to keep its head level, buy Swedish branded products and maintain the independance that i for one respect this country for.Keep Sweden Beautiful. --Englishman_In_Norpan
-----
Well, say what you will about Mickey Dees and Starbucks but the fact is that it's usually a sancuary when I travel abroad. My tastes are for Swedish coffee but outside of Sweden good coffee is hard to get. Starbucks is actully the best alternative.I can imagine ppl from Italy or some random place trying to get a good Esspresso somewhere else. They'd probable settle for Starbuck too. As for Swedes not going there because it represents "capitalism" which seems to be some ppls attitudes. Then I'd say quite unlikely that they could resist the buisness model. Everything here is centeralized and swedes almost always do as everyone else does. All they need is a strong push and then magic takeover of the market.-- Bumblebeetuna

http://www.thelocal.se/22790/20091021/

In my opinion, the naysayers have little ground to stand on as Starbucks is a brand worthy of being here. It's the largest coffee-house in the world, international, environmentally/socially conscious and most importantly - makes quality coffee. I can understand those who don't like the coffee or are anti-American or don't like big brand names. Those that claim that the coffee isn't quality obviously don't know java very well.

It's important to note that the location will be at the airport, (easy appeal for international travellers) not in a main city. Therefore, I'm not overly optimistic that we will see more Starbucks in the near future. If so, Sweden and Swedes will have to take the bold step of embracing competition and allowing Starbucks to go toe to toe against the the numerous coffee chains including Wayne's coffee, Expresso House and Coffeehouse by George.

In general, Sweden does coffee VERY WELL and I rarely get a bad cup of coffee here although some of the chains could take a page from Starbucks in the ambiance and music category. I enjoy Wayne's coffee and frequently meet friends there.

For those interested in the finance of the company, Starbucks stock has done extremely well over the past two decades until the recession took away a bit of its charm. In my opinion, during the last ten years they lost their focus by opening up too many stores and neglecting their core business - coffee and the customer experience. The founder (Howard Schultz) came back in 2008 as President/CEO and his presence has refocused the brand. I recommeded the stock to a few friends earlier this year when it was 11 dollars a share; since then it has almost doubled.

I'm excited for the potential of additional Starbucks in Sweden if only in the major towns of Stockholm, Göteborg and Malmö. I have no doubt the brand would be successful and would motivate other coffee-houses to "improve their stores and/or enhance the customer experience" which would benefit all coffee lovers!

Interestingly, I have never read a worthwhile answer from Starbucks as to why they are not in Sweden. It would seem to be a no-brainer for them as Sweden is wealthy and adores coffee - an ideal country in my book.

Will we see a non-airport Starbucks in the future? I'm hopeful but I won't be holding my breath.

Happy Gswede Sunday!


Autumn has arrived in Stockholm. Mild temperatures with plenty of rainy days.

3 comments:

Ulrika said...

Finally indeed!
Embrace competition and allow everyone to utter these fantastically fullfilling words: "I would like a grande, non-fat, Marble Mocca Macchiato, thanks!"

SarahF said...

2 of my MBA classmates actually looked at our coffee culture and why Starbucks should enter the market. At that point, the barriers of entry were too high to advise a Starbucks entry. Primarily, our strong local coffee culture was a problem. That was 5 years ago.

I too was shocked to discover the lack of SB when moving back home. Now, after drinking real coffee, for 6 years I have to say I don't miss the coffee. I do, however, miss the ambiance of a Starbucks.

Expensive? said...

I welcome SB and wish them all the best. Think the competition and know-how they bring is great.

But if the prices I have seen in some articles are correct, I think SB Arlanda will just be a short visit. I don´t think we are willing to pay 60-100 SEK for our "coffy". But that might just be me...